Homeowners aren’t surprised when they see fallen leaves or algae in their pool, especially if it’s been a while since they had pool service in Delray Beach. However, they can get the shock of their lives when they see wildlife floating in the water. Worse is if it’s dead. The most common animals you can find in your Florida pool are snakes, frogs, birds, squirrels, and raccoons. If you discover a dead animal, what are you going to do? Should you fix the problem yourself or hire pool professionals?
How to Deal With Dead Animals in Your Pool
What Type of Animal Is in There?
In most cases, dead animals in your pool will not pose a health risk as long as you remove them immediately. You need to do a series of steps to ensure that your pool is thoroughly disinfected so it will be safe to swim in.
However, there is an exception – dead raccoons. Be extra cautious when dealing with dead raccoons, as they may be infected with a worm that can be contagious to humans. Most bacteria from dead animals in your pool can be destroyed by chlorine, but this only applies if your pool is well-maintained.
What Should You Do?
The following are steps you can take when you find an animal in your pool:
- Don’t let anyone swim in the pool.
- Wear disposable gloves.
- Use a net to remove the dead animal from your pool.
- Use two plastic garbage bags to dispose of the dead animal.
- Thoroughly clean the net you used.
- Remove your gloves and place them inside the garbage bags.
- Close and seal the garbage bags to keep wild animals away from them.
- Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Increase your free chlorine concentration to 2 parts per million and maintain the pH level at 7.5 while the temperature at 77 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Check to ensure that your filtration system is working well.
- Dip the net in the pool for 30 minutes while the pool is being disinfected.
- Call a pool expert.
Do You Need Pool Service in Delray Beach?
If you need help with your pool, our pool experts are ready to visit your home. For your convenience, we offer full-service maintenance programs customized to fit your needs and budget. Contact us today to learn more about our offers.